All the flavors of your favorite spinach artichoke recipe are stuffed into these spaghetti squash boats. Made with tender seared chicken breast, bacon, and covered in a dairy-free spinach and artichoke sauce it’s the ultimate comfort food! Paleo, Whole30, and Keto too!
for the spaghetti squash:
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash, or 2 small
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
for the chicken breast:
- 1 pound chicken, cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
for the creamy sauce:
- 1 tablespoon ghee, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 5–6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, or bone broth
- (1/2)13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups packed spinach
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. To soften the spaghetti squash before cooking, poke holes in the squash with a fork, and place the whole spaghetti squash in the microwave. Heat for 3-4 minutes. Take spaghetti squash out of the microwave with oven mitts, as the squash will be hot. Trim the ends of the squash, and slice evenly in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy parts in the center of the squash. Spray or drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Place squash halves cut side down and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until squash is tender when poked with a fork. Smaller squash will need less time, than larger squash.
- While the squash is cooking, season the cubed chicken with basil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Heat oil over medium heat in skillet. Sauté cubed chicken breast for 5-6 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, and bacon pieces, and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until bacon is cooked.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and arrowroot starch. Add the sauce to the skillet and simmer for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Stir in artichokes and spinach. Return the chicken to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, take it out of the oven. Fill the squash boats with the spinach artichoke skillet mixture to make stuffed boats OR use a fork to release the spaghetti strands and combine in a large bowl with skillet mixture.
- If sauce is getting dry while simmering, add in a little more chicken broth.
Keywords: stuffed spaghetti squash, paleo, keto, whole30, bacon spinach spaghetti squash, chicken stuffed spaghetti squash