Forget to thaw out your frozen chicken breasts ahead of time? No problem! We have a quick and easy super tasty, super juicy and super healthy air fryer chicken breast recipe that you can prepare in minutes, direct from the freezer! With simple seasoning ingredients these chicken breasts are gluten and dairy free and compatible with all of your clean eating diet regimes. Paleo, Keto and Whole 30 compatible! Keep reading and we will show you exactly how to cook frozen chicken breast in an air fryer.
It’s not complicated, lets get started, What do you need?
To make these air fryer frozen chicken breasts you need three things: Frozen chicken breasts, an Air Fryer and something to season the chicken with, that’s all! Really, recipes don’t get more easy than this one. Here at The Healthy Consultant, we are currently using a Ninja Foodi 11 in 1 for our air frying recipes. It is a super versatile all in one appliance and we highly recommend it, but if you don’t have one, don’t worry this recipe will work perfectly in whichever air fryer you have.
Do you need to defrost your chicken before air frying?
No! This recipe is a direct from the freezer and into the air fryer recipe. An air fryer is great at cooking smaller chicken pieces such as breasts, thighs and wings from frozen and it yields very tender and juicy results. Ideally we would usually cook our chicken breasts fresh or pre-thawed, but when you get home late and haven’t planned ahead sometimes its necessary to dive into the freezer to see if you can find something interesting to cook. Frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the drawer? Perfect! With this recipe they can be transformed into something yummy to eat in no time!
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in Air Fryer?
If you are new to cooking from frozen, don’t worry this recipe is unbelievably simple and it tastes great. Basically all you need to do is remove the chicken from the freezer, spray it with a cooking oil, sprinkle it with your preferred seasoning mix, put it in the air fryer, cook for 20 minutes and its ready! Yummy, tender, healthy chicken breasts direct from the freezer ready to be eaten in under 30 minutes!
How to make Frozen Chicken Breast in the Air Fryer?
1. Gather your ingredients, remove your chicken breasts from the freezer and place them on a flat surface to thaw a little while you prepare the other ingredients. 5 minutes out of the freezer will allow the seasoning mix and the oil to stick a little better prior to cooking.
2. Choose your seasoning mix. For a quantity of 2 chicken breasts we used the following ingredients:
3. Mix the seasoning ingredients in a bowl and use the olive oil to evenly coat the chicken breasts on both sides. We use an olive oil spray to spray the chicken but a pastry brush to brush the oil on or even rolling the chicken in a bowl with the oil will work.
4. Next coat the chicken with the seasoning mix. You can simply sprinkle it on but we prefer to put the seasoning mix into a dry container with a lid, add the chicken breasts one at a time and shake the chicken in the closed container to coat them evenly with the seasoning.
5. Place the chicken breasts onto the air frying rack making sure that they are not touching and put them into the air fryer. Air fry or “Air Crisp” in the Ninja foodie (or other air fryer) at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces over and then continue cooking at the same temperature for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove the cooked chicken breasts and place them on a flat surface or plate to rest for 5 minutes prior to cutting (consider covering the chicken pieces with aluminium foil while they are resting for even juicier chicken). Resting the chicken is important, this will allow the chicken to finish cooking inside if it is not quite finished and allow the juices to distribute evenly throughout the meat as it cools.
7. Slice the chicken pieces and serve them in your favorite salad or with steamed vegetables for a healthy lunch or diner. They also taste great with some of our homemade BBQ sauce!
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breasts FAQS
Can I store and reheat my chicken breasts?
Yes in theory you can but we recommend that you eat them straight away. Chicken breast has a tendency to dry out when stored and reheating further dries out the meat resulting in chicken that is not very agreeable to eat. A better idea to use left over chicken is to not reheat at all, slice the chicken and use it cold in a salad.
Can I use a different oil and seasoning mix?
Yes, of course! This recipe is highly versatile and you can choose your favourite cooking oil to coat the chicken and substitute your favourite dry seasoning ingredients, no problems!
This is a quick and easy super tasty, super juicy and super healthy air fryer chicken breast recipe that you can prepare in minutes, direct from the freezer! With simple seasoning ingredients these chicken breasts are gluten and dairy free and compatible with all of your clean eating diet regimes. Paleo, Keto and Whole 30 compatible!
Preheat the air fryer if necessary to 350°F or 180°C. This step is not essential but we recommend it for best results. Placing the frozen chicken into the already heated air fryer will yield the best result.
Remove chicken breasts from the freezer and place on a flat surface to thaw slightly while you prepare the other ingredients.
In a medium bowl prepare the seasoning mix. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
Spray the frozen chicken breasts with olive oil to coat evenly or coat them in a bowl with a small amount of olive oil if you don’t have a spray.
Coat the chicken breasts with the seasoning mix. Add the chicken to the bowl and roll it in the seasoning until it is well coated
Place the chicken onto the air frying rack and put it into the air fryer, make sure that the pieces are not touching for best results.
Air Fry the chicken for 20 minutes at 350°F (180°C), turning the chicken after 10 minutes of cooking so that that it crisps evenly on both sides.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with your favourite salad or cooked vegetables.
It is very is important to let the chicken rest before slicing if you do not rest the chicken before slicing then all of the juice will run out and they will be much less moist.
Check that the chicken is thoroughly cooked through, different air fryers may require less or more cooking time.
Keywords: air fryer frozen chicken breast, frozen chicken breast in the air fryer, how to cook frozen chicken breast in air fryer