- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- cilantro, garnish
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, add chicken breast, diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, red onion, white wine vinegar, lime juice, and seasonings. Stir well until combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4-5 hours or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker to a plate. Shred the chicken with 2 forks or a hand mixer. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or a stand mixer. Turn the mixer on medium until chicken is shredded.
- If you are short on time, use 2 tablespoons of your own taco seasoning. I recommend this one.
- Storage- store in a glass food storage container for up to 5 days. Freeze up to 3 months in a freezer safe container. Make sure to thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Serve- serve shredded Mexican chicken as filling to hard taco shells, soft gluten-free tortillas, burritos, or on a taco salad.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: slow cooker mexican shredded chicken, shredded chicken slow cooker mexican, shredded chicken tacos recipe, instant pot mexican chicken