- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- cilantro, garnish
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, add chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, red onion, white wine vinegar, lime juice, and seasonings. Stir well until combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4-5 hours, or high heat setting for 3, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks or a hand mixer. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- Substitute chicken breasts for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Cook chicken in the slow cooker on low for 4 – 4 1/2 hours or on high for 3 hours. I don’t recommend longer because the chicken may dry out. Chicken is fully cooked when reached a temperature of 165 degrees, or when easily shredded.
- To use frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 10-15 minutes. The size of your chicken breasts DO matter. The thicker the chicken breasts, the longer you need to cook them in the Instant Pot. If your chicken is not fully cooked (it doesn’t shred easily, or it hasn’t reached 165 degrees) place the lid back on the Instant Pot and cook on manual (high pressure) for 5 minutes at a time until your chicken shreds easily.
- If you are short on time, use 2 tablespoons or 2 packets of taco seasoning, instead of all the spices in the recipe card. I recommend Siete Taco Seasonings.
- Storage- store in a glass food storage container for up to 5 days. Freeze up to 3 months in a freezer safe container. Make sure to thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Serve- serve shredded Mexican chicken as filling for salads, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or quesadillas.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: slow cooker mexican shredded chicken, shredded chicken slow cooker mexican, shredded chicken tacos recipe, instant pot mexican chicken