You won’t miss take out with this healthy sweet and sour chicken. With crispy chicken, bell peppers, pineapple, and onion, it taste just like your favorite Chinese restaurant. All topped with a sweet and savory sauce you’ll love! Paleo, Whole30, gluten free, and soy free too!
For the sauce:
- 1 cup pineapple juice (remainder from can)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey, leave out for Whole30
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, or chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, in 100% pineapple juice, not syrup
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- green onions, chopped, to garnish
- Make the sauce by whisking together the pineapple juice, ketchup, ginger, garlic, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, chicken broth, honey, and arrowroot starch in a small sauce pan. Set aside.
- In a gallon size zip lock bag, pour in the beaten egg and chicken. Zip the bag and shake the chicken around so that the egg coats the chicken pieces. Add the arrowroot starch and repeat until chicken is evenly coated with the arrowroot.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add enough oil so that the bottom of the skillet is topped with oil. Working in batches (about 2), place chicken pieces in skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to a plate.
- Place sauce pan on burner and simmer sauce over low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in skillet. Add onion, and bell peppers. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent. Add the pineapple and chicken pieces. Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture in the skillet. Mix all ingredients to coat evenly with sauce. Serve hot.
- Whole30: leave out the honey and enjoy sweetness from the pineapple.
- Serve with: roasted broccoli, cauliflower rice, or white rice.
- Store sweet and sour chicken in an air-tight glass container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat chicken in a glass container in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: chinese sweet and sour chicken, easy sweet and sour chicken recipe, skillet sweet and sour chicken recipe