This Sweet Potato Sloppy Joe Skillet recipe is a healthy version of a comfort food favorite, without the buns! It’s easy to make in under 30 minutes, delicious, and loaded with simple ingredients. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! Paleo, Whole30, and gluten free too!
- 1 large sweet potato (roughly 3 cups), diced into 1″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place cubed sweet potatoes on pan. Drizzle sweet potatoes with olive oil and sea salt, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large sized skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes of until onions are translucent. Add ground beef and brown, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink. Drain grease from meat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, make the sauce. Whisk together the tomato paste, tomato sauce, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Pour the sauce into the skillet and stir.
- Stir in the diced bell pepper. Simmer mixture for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened to your liking.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven, and combine with meat mixture in the skillet. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Garnish with parsley or green onions.
- If sloppy joe mixture becomes too dry, add 1/4 cup of water to skillet.
- To store: keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: let the mixture cool completely, then add to a glass tupperware freezer safe container. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in microwave or oven.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo sloppy joe, whole30 sloppy joes, sweet potato sloppy joes