This sausage stuffed acorn squash recipe is easy to make and full of sweet and savory flavors! Stuffed with sausage, sweet apples, caramelized onions, and pecans, it’s the perfect fall meal. Paleo, and Whole30 too!
For the squash:
- 3 small acorn squash, cut in half from tip to stem and insides scooped out
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or ghee
- sea salt and ground black pepper
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage, ground breakfast sausage or ground turkey sausage (*check ingredient label for Whole30 compliant)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium-large apple*, core removed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half from tip to stem. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy bits from the squash. Drizzle inside of squash halves with coconut oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the halves cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes (time will vary based on size and thickness of squash), or until fork tender and the squash halves are golden brown.
- While the squash is baking, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook the sausage, breaking up chunks with a spatula, until browned and cooked through.
- Add in apple, sage, thyme, rosemary, cinnamon, and sea salt. Sauté until the apple softens. Turn the heat off and stir in the pecan bits.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven and flip squash halves over. Fill each halve with the stuffing mixture. Serve immediately.
*Apples: honeycrisp or pink lady (cripps pink) are my favorite for baking or cooking. Choose either for best results.
*Pick pork sausage that is pasture-raised, sugar free, and without preservatives/additives. Preferably certified organic and certified humane for the best quality.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo, whole30, savory, sausage and apple, fall, dairy-free