This Instant Pot chicken pot pie soup is the perfect meal to make when the weather turns chilly, and you need something to warm you up from the inside out. Loaded with veggies, herbs, and the perfect amount of creaminess with each bite. And the best part? It’s Paleo, Whole30-approved, and dairy free.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, cubed (russet potatoes or red potatoes also work)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup full-fat unsweetened canned coconut milk, or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- fresh thyme, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn the instant pot to the sauté setting. Melt ghee in the bottom of the pot, then add minced garlic, diced onion, sliced carrots, and chopped celery. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Press “cancel” on the instant pot and add in the cubed chicken, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Stir ingredients.
- Lastly, add the cubed potatoes spreading evenly across the top, and the bay leaves.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, and turn the knob to “sealing”. Cook on manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow instant pot to naturally release for 5 minutes, then release the pressure.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Scoop half of the potatoes at the top of the instant pot along with a ladle of broth into a blender and add the coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until creamy. Pour the mixture into the instant pot and stir, adding the frozen peas in too. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Other dairy free options: This soup uses coconut milk, but will have minimal coconut taste. If you can’t use coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened cashew milk, or cashew cream will work.
- To make in Slow Cooker: Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker, the same as you would in the Instant Pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Soup is done when chicken easily shreds and potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork. Continue following the same instructions for the Instant Pot below, once the soup is fully cooked.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy, paleo, whole30, dairy free