This Slow Cooker Paleo Chicken Teriyaki with sweet and savory flavors will be a family favorite. With healthy ingredients, this is a great replacement for take-out teriyaki chicken, and so easy to make in your own home. It’s also Whole30 compliant, gluten free, refined sugar free, and low carb.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, or chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice, drained from a can of pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- 1/4 cup cold water
- fresh chopped scallions, to garnish
- sesame seeds, to garnish
To thicken the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons water
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place chicken breast in a single layer at the bottom of your slow cooker. Top the chicken with diced onion and minced garlic.
- In a medium size separate bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, ginger, pineapple juice and cold water. Pour the sauce over the chicken breast in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 2-3 hours until chicken is tender and starts to pull apart.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and onto a plate to shred. Shred the chicken using two forks, holding a fork in each hand to pull the meat apart.
- Place a strainer over a small sauce pan and pour the liquid from the slow cooker into the sauce pan, straining the garlic and onions. Dump the onions back into the slow cooker.
- Bring sauce to a simmer on low-medium heat. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and cold water until the starch is dissolved and no longer lumpy. Pour the tapioca starch into the sauce pan and whisk to combine.
- Simmer the sauce for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Remove the sauce pan from the heat and pour the sauce back in the slow cooker with the onions and shredded chicken. Toss to combine.
- Serve warm and garnish with green onions, and sesame seeds.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add the onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, ginger, pineapple juice, and water to the bottom of the instant pot and stir. Then, add the chicken.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to SEALING. Press the manual button (older models), or pressure-cook button (newer models) and set the timer to 8 minutes. Once the timer beeps, move the valve to release the pressure, and carefully open the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred it with two forks. Turn the Instant Pot to the SAUTE setting. Once the liquid begins to simmer, whisk in the tapioca starch and water mixture. Continue whisking until there are no longer any lumps.
- Cook and whisk until the sauce is thickened to your liking. About 1-2 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off and add the chicken back to the pot and toss to coat in the sauce.
- For sweeter teriyaki chicken: start by adding 1 tablespoon of honey (not Whole30 compliant) to the slow cooker and stir.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Paleo teriyaki chicken, whole30 teriyaki chicken, healthy chicken teriyaki