This Healthy Kale Apple Salad is filled with some of the best fall flavors including chopped kale, crisp fall apples, roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potato, and a sprinkle of crunchy pecans and pumpkin seeds. Paired with a simple apple cider vinaigrette with a touch of maple syrup.
For the salad:
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2” bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 bunch of curly kale, chopped
- 1 large red apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts in avocado oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts onto the sheet pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until soft and slightly brown.
- In a large salad bowl, add kale, onion, apple, pecans, and pumpkin seed. In a mason jar or salad dressing container, combine salad dressing ingredients.
- Remove sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts from the oven and let them cool. Add cooled sweet potato and brussels sprouts into the salad bowl and toss. If you plan on having leftover salad see the recipe notes.
- Toss salad with dressing right before serving. You may not need to use all the dressing.
Leftover salad: If you plan to have leftover salad, and you would like the sweet potato and brussel sprouts to be warm, store brussel sprouts and sweet potato in a separate container instead of combining them in the large salad bowl. Simply reheat and toss them on the next time you make the salad.
Add meat to salad: add chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc!
For Whole30: leave out the maple syrup in the dressing. Use just olive oil and apple cider.
Kale Types: curly kale is the most common, but you can use red (Russian) kale, or lacinato kale (also called “dinosaur kale”). Lacinato has a longer stem and thinner leaves, is sweeter and easier to digest. It’s best cut into ribbons.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side dishes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 41.7mg
- Fat: 13.9g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg