- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, diced into 1″ cubes (about 5 large potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken broth (32 fl oz carton)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- chopped green onions, for topping
- Set the Instant Pot on the sauté setting. Melt the ghee and add the bacon. Sauté the bacon for 1-2 minutes, then add the minced garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot, and add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and chicken broth.
- Lock the lid on, and turn the knob to “sealing”. Cook on manual for 10 minutes. Instant pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts to count down. Once the timer goes off, manually release the pressure.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, cashews, and four ladles of the potato and broth mixture* (see notes). Blend until very smooth. Pour the mixture into the instant pot and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
- If you are wanting your potato soup more creamy, add more potatoes from the instant pot into the blender.
- If you are wanting your soup less creamy, (with more whole potatoes in the soup), add only two ladles of potato and broth mixture to blender.
- *peeling the potatoes isn’t necessary for this recipe, unless you prefer to peel them
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: diary free, non dairy, paleo, whole30, baked potato soup