This No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili is so thick and hearty, and easy to make in the crock pot! Loaded with healthy ingredients like ground turkey, sweet potato, tomato, onion, bell pepper, diced green chiles, and tons of flavorful spices! Paleo, Whole30, dairy free and gluten free too!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1″ cubes, (or 2 medium)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 4–ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 28–ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14–ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the ground turkey and cook until turkey is browned making sure to crumble the turkey with a spatula as it cooks.
- Place the ground turkey into the slow cooker. Stir in the sweet potato, bell pepper, diced green chiles, chicken broth, jalapeño, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Serve warm and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Set instant pot to sauté setting. Add avocado oil to the interior pot, followed by the garlic, and onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until onion begins to soften. Add ground turkey, and cook breaking up chunks and browning meat until no longer pink.
- Turn the instant pot sauté setting off, by pressing cancel. Add the sweet potato, bell pepper, diced green chilies, chicken broth, diced jalapeño, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings. Stir well.
- Put the instant pot lid on, and set the vent to “sealing”. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 15 minutes. The Instant Pot may take 10-15 minutes to warm up, and then the timer will start to count down from 15 minutes. Once the timer goes off, quick release to vent the pressure immediately. Serve warm.
All Clad Stainless Steel Fry PanBuy Now →
- This chili is very thick. If you would like a thinner chili, add 1/2-1 cup of broth.
- Topping ideas: avocado, dairy free sour cream, diced jalapeños, parsley, or tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 946.4 mg
- Fat: 13.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1 g
- Protein: 34.9 g
- Cholesterol: 105.2 mg
Keywords: paleo, whole30
How much is in a serving? Thank you so much!
A serving is adequate for one person, such as the bowl shown in the photo.
A perfect recipe!!! Thank you so much for this! Only variation I made was I used ground bison and added black beans. The flavors from your spice selection could not have been better!!! Thank you!
Added half a Mexican beer like I do to my regular chili and it came out great! Added a little more liquid as well. Great recipe!
I really liked your site. Thanks for the information. 96050956
Can you double this recipe in the crock pot and cook for the same amount of time? Thank you.
In the directions you include tomato paste, but the list of ingredients does not call for tomato paste. Is this a mistake?
Hello! No need for tomato paste. That is a mistake on my part. I will go ahead and fix that.
This is amazing and very simple! My husband and I got filled up for dinner and there are 3-4 servings left to take for lunches. Thank you! ❤️
So glad you loved it Tara!
I am subbing frozen butternut squash for the sweet potato and 15 min on HIGH seems like a very long time for cooking. Should I reduce the cooking time when using frozen butternut squash? I’ve already mixed up the all spices and I’m ready to go :). THX!