Forget the buns! These homemade Whole30 Sloppy Joes pair perfectly with sweet potatoes for a healthy and delicious comfort food meal. Made with real food ingredients, and easy to make too! Paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free too!
For sweet potatoes
For sloppy joe mixture
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Poke holes in each sweet potato with a fork or sharp knife 6-8 times on each side. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and sea salt and rub over the entire potato. Bake sweet potatoes for 40-45 minutes, or until a fork or knife is easily inserted.
- In a medium-large sized skillet, heat ghee over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add brown beef and brown, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat and stir in green bell pepper, tomato paste, tomato sauce, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder to skillet. Add water and simmer mixture for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven. You can check for doneness by sticking a fork or knife through the center of the potato. Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise and fill with sloppy joes skillet mixture. Garnish with parsley or green onions.
- If you are short on time, microwave the sweet potatoes.
- Sweet potato baking time will depend on size of sweet potatoes. Small sweet potatoes take 40-45 minutes, whereas large sweet potatoes take 50-60 minutes to bake.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade sloppy joes, healthy sloppy joes, sloppy joes baked sweet potatoes, stuffed sloppy joe sweet potatoes