This Paleo Cashew Chicken is a Chinese takeout classic that’s stir-fried in just 20 minutes. With tender chicken, crunchy cashews, broccoli, snap peas, and bell peppers, it tastes just like your favorite Chinese restaurant, but healthier. All topped with a flavorful sweet and savory sauce. Whole30, Keto, gluten free, and soy free too!
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 1” cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or corn starch (not paleo or Whole30)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or gluten free soy sauce (not Paleo or Whole30)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey (omit for Whole30)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
For the vegetables:
- Toast cashews: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cashews in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce: Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the coconut aminos, white vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, honey, and chicken broth. Set aside.
- Coat chicken: place cubed chicken in a large bowl with sea salt, black pepper and arrowroot starch. Toss chicken until coated evenly.
- Cook chicken: In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken once the oil is sizzling hot. Cook chicken until golden brown, for 3-4 minutes, flipping and stirring so all sides cook evenly. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
- Stir-fry vegetables: In the same skillet, add coconut oil, then add garlic. Saute until fragrant, then add bell pepper, broccoli, snap peas, and green onions. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Add sauce: Add the sauce and toss with chicken and vegetables until evenly coated. Let sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Toss in the cashews and green onions and stir. Serve hot with cauliflower rice.
- If you are using a stainless steel pan (not non-stick) be sure the coconut oil is sizzling before adding the chicken. Let the chicken brown on one side before flipping and stirring. Once the chicken is browned on one side it will flip easily. If the chicken is sticking give it a little more time before flipping.
- If you want to thicken the sauce more, let it simmer for 1-2 minutes longer in the skillet.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Whole30 cashew chicken, keto cashew chicken, healthy cashew chicken,