This Sweet Potato Skillet is an easy weeknight dinner that is ready in just 30 minutes! Made with taco seasoned ground beef, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes to bring you all the Mexican flavors. It can be eaten as is, over cauliflower rice, or on a bed of mixed greens. Makes for great leftovers or meal prep too!
For the meat mixture:
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1″ cubes, (about 2 – 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1– (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1– (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- sliced avocado, to garnish
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- red cabbage, to garnish
For the seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss sweet potatoes with avocado oil, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Gather seasonings into a small bowl or ramekin. Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large sized skillet. Sauté garlic and onions for 2-3 minutes, and then add the ground beef. Brown beef, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink. Add the seasonings, diced tomatoes, and diced green chiles to the meat mixture in the skillet. Simmer the mixture over low-medium heat in the skillet for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn burner heat off. Stir in chopped bell pepper, and cooked sweet potatoes in skillet. Serve hot and garnish with chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, sliced avocado, and chopped red cabbage.
Storage: store in an air-tight glass container for up to 5 days.
Reheat: to reheat, place in the microwave, covered, for up to 1 minute.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: healthy taco skillet, paleo taco skillet, sweet potato skillet recipe