This easy slow cooker pot roast is the perfect weeknight dinner! Let the slow cooker do the work and you’ll have tender, fall-apart pot roast and hearty vegetables all topped with a simple gravy.
- 3–4 pound grass-fed boneless chuck roast– well marbled with fat
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee, grass-fed butter or tallow
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2” chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 pound baby gold potatoes
- 3–5 stalks celery, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 cups beef broth
For gravy (optional) :
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 3 tablespoons beef broth
- Season roast on all sides with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot, add the roast and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Place carrots, onion, baby gold potatoes, and celery into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Lay the roast on top, and add the thyme, garlic, sea salt, and beef broth.
- Cover, and cook the roast for 8-9 hours on low setting, or until meat easily shreds and is tender.
- Transfer roast to a plate and shred with two forks. Cut potatoes if desired. Season with salt and pepper until you reach desired flavor.
- If you want to thicken the broth to make gravy, pour the broth from the slow cooker into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk tapioca flour with 3 tablespoons of beef broth then pour into sauce pan. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Store in a air-tight glass container for up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Reheat in the microwave in a microwave safe container.
- Freeze this dish in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef roast, chuck roast, paleo pot roast, whole30 pot roast, healthy pot roast, pot roast recipe, pot roast with vegetables, crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots