This easy Paleo taco casserole is a healthy Mexican dinner the whole family will love. Loaded with sweet potatoes, ground beef, tomatoes, green chiles, and topped with a creamy sauce, this taco bake is both comforting and delicious. Whole30, and gluten free too!
For sweet potatoes:
For meat mixture:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayo (I recommend Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo)
- 1/3 cup salsa
- jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss sweet potatoes with avocado oil and sea salt in bottom of 9×13 casserole dish, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large sized skillet. Cook onions until they are translucent then add ground beef. Brown beef, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning and water to the skillet. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, and red bell pepper to skillet.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon skillet mixture over sweet potatoes in casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in mayo and salsa to bowl. Pour creamy sauce over sweet potato and skillet mixture. Spread evenly over casserole with a spoon.
- Bake casserole at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes. Let casserole cool for 5-10 minutes, and then serve.
- I recommend Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Mayo or a mayo that is avocado oil based.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy taco casserole, cinco de mayo recipe, layered taco casserole