This creamy pesto chicken skillet is made with tender seared chicken breast, and smothered in a dairy-free homemade pesto sauce. Serve it with zucchini noodles for the ultimate meal. It’s an easy, low carb, 30 minute weeknight dinner for all pesto lovers! Paleo, Whole30, & Keto too!
For the chicken:
- 4 small-medium boneless skinless chicken breast, or 2 large halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free pesto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
For the creamy sauce:
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (I recommend using Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
Serve with zucchini noodles:
- Season the chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper, and rub chicken with pesto.
- In a large size skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear chicken breast for 5-8 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove chicken breast from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add olive oil and reduce the heat to low-medium temperature. Add the cherry tomatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, pesto, and minced garlic. Add the sauce to the skillet and bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the chicken back to the skillet and spoon the creamy sauce over the chicken. Cook until the chicken is warmed and heated through. Serve hot.
- Optional: Serve the pesto chicken with zucchini noodles. See how to make in the notes section below.
- The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
- Make zucchini noodles with a spiralizer. Some people choose to squeeze water out of their noodles, but I think the noodles turn out delicious without the extra time and effort of doing that. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the zucchini noodles and sauté them for 3-4 minutes. Season the noodles with salt and pepper.
- If you are going to use zucchini noodles, don’t add them into your dish until you are ready to serve it. The noodles may get mushy.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo, whole30, keto, skillet pesto chicken