This Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole is the perfect weeknight dish that the whole family will love! It’s a healthier, low carb version of your favorite Italian-spaghetti dish. You won’t miss the noodles! Paleo, Whole30, and Keto too!
For the squash:
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the meat sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. To soften the spaghetti squash before cooking, poke holes in the squash with a fork, and place the whole spaghetti squash in the microwave. Heat for 3-4 minutes. Take spaghetti squash out of the microwave with oven mitts, as the squash will be hot. Trim the ends of the squash, and slice evenly in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy parts in the center of the squash. Spray or drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Place squash halves cut side down and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until squash is tender when poked with a fork. Smaller squash will need less time, than larger squash.
- While squash is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion becomes soft. Brown ground beef, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink. Add Italian seasoning, basil, garlic powder, sea salt, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes to skillet. Simmer mixture in skillet for 5 minutes.
- When squash is finished cooking, flip the spaghetti squash over, and run a fork down the sides and middle of the squash, scraping the squash out of the boat. Add the squash to a large bowl. In the same bowl, add beef skillet mixture. Stir squash and beef mixture together until all squash is covered. Add the eggs, and stir again.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Pour squash mixture into casserole dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
To make Vegan: omit the ground beef
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spaghetti Squash Casserole Paleo, Keto Spaghetti Squash Recipes